Brainstorming Settlement Solutions 2015
Building on the successes and lessons learned from our inaugural 2014 event, Datafest Ottawa returned on March 26, 2015 for a one-day problem mapping workshop. We set out to create an environment of collaboration, interaction and learning between subject matter expertise in immigration and settlement issues, first-hand users of Canada’s immigration and settlement system and locals with design, data, development and communication skills.
With the support of Citizenship and Immigration Canada and generous hosting by Adobe Canada, an intense and enriching workshop unfolded whereby eight teams explored how new technology can make various aspects of immigration and settlement easier.
Datafest Ottawa: Brainstorming Settlement Solutions Projects:
- Employment while you wait
- Canadian workplace culture
- Location matters
- Interview practice, online?
- No services?
- Young adults supporting families navigating Canadian systems
- It’s always sunny in Hamilton
- Increasing access to information for newcomers
- First peoples and new Canadians
- Information overload
Hacking Migration in the Capital 2014
The inaugural hackathon organized by Datafest Ottawa took place April 12th & 13th, 2014. Five projects were conceptualized and prototyped from the weekend-long event, with 40 local migration enthusiasts in attendance.
Datafest Ottawa: Hacking Migration in the Capital Projects:
- Ottawa Newcomers Language/Region of Origin Mapping
- Refugee Entrepreneurship
- Migration Buddy Matching
- Visualizing Canada’s Changing Diversity
- Temporary Foreign Worker Information Resource